We all would agree that 4D BIM has drastically transformed the way construction project is managed. Right from the design phase to its development, BIM has introduced a significant improvement in all the major areas of the construction, architecture, and engineering industry.
To make your that the construction project is completed efficiently, it is vital to know that all resources and materials are properly allocated. Inaccurate sequencing and scheduling are one of the major reasons behind material wastage, reworks, project delays, and logistic errors. This is where 4D BIM scheduling will help.
With the help of 4D construction planning, contractors as well as owners can create precise phasing charts & construction schedules by properly sequencing and scheduling the materials. It also provides –
- Building material logistics
- Site progress tracking
- Resource allocation
- Supply chain visibility for risk reduction
Major challenges involved in creating 4D BIM Models
When one begins 4D BIM scheduling and construction planning, there are many challenges that come their way. Some of these challenges are –
- Geometric inconsistencies – Even a small inconsistency in geometry leads to rework while linking the schedule to 3D models.
- Incomplete data – Missing data and lack of information are other challenges that make the process of 4D construction planning and scheduling difficult.
- Inaccurate level of details – Lack of detailing and not using required LOD in the 3D model can lead to inaccurate and inconsistent scheduling when it comes to project scope.
- Lack of technical constructability – Due to a lack of dependency between the planned logistics and tasks can cause inaccurate sequencing which leads to construction delays.
- Too much data – Where lack of details can cause a problem in 4D BIM scheduling and planning there, too many details and data can also reduce the overall computational processing of both 3D and 4D BIM models.
Why is 4D BIM Scheduling Important?
The clear reason why 4D BIM scheduling is important is that it includes “time” as a fourth dimension to be modelled. 4D simulations are essentially used to provide construction sequences that allow stakeholders to visualize & create a streamlined & detailed construction schedule with minimum issues.
With 4D Construction, Stakeholders can –
- Set better deadlines for the project
- Reduce the project duration
- Allocate resources optimally
- Reduce cost by lowering risks
- Pre-empt issues in project progress
Tips to Implement 4D Planning & Scheduling
In the sections above, we have discussed all the benefits of 4D BIM scheduling and planning for a construction project and clearly, it is an essential part of the construction project lifecycle if you want to reduce risk, and cost, and bring more efficiency to the project. However, the question remains – “How”. The tips mentioned below will help you implement 4D BIM for scheduling and planning.
- Collect all the information for the 3D BIM Model
- Check the accuracy of the 3D model by cross-referring to all the parameters
- Add construction schedules to 3D models
- Use necessary and efficient construction tools for workspace planning
- Customize your scheduling on the basis of the project
Collect all the information for the 3D BIM Model
For 4D scheduling to work efficiently, it is important that an accurate and information-packed 3D model is created. It indeed is the foundation step in the process of 4D planning and scheduling. Therefore, the very first thing to do here is collect all the right information to build an accurate 3D BIM model.
Check the accuracy of the 3D model by cross-referring to all the parameters
Once you have completed the first step and have derived the exact information, you should create a detailed data checklist to help modelers establish the availability of deliverables to build a 4D BIM model.
The checklist must include the following –
- 2D drawings
- Operations details
- Other activities involved in onsite construction
Frequent reviews and updates of the 3D model will help modelers create accurate 4D prototypes. These reviews must include –
- Creating a timeline and agenda
- Is built for the predetermined goal
- Whether the model meets the needed LOD level
- Check if the 3D BIM model made includes essential data & components to build an accurate schedule
- Whether the model is straightforward to perceive or not
Add construction schedules to 3D models
Another tip that will help in implementing the 4D model is to make sure that modelers create data-rich 3D models with all the accurate schedule details. This entire information would help make it easy to make 4D phasing and perceive data.
When it comes to linking 3D BIM models with the schedules, it is critical that you consider the following processes –
- Various LOD levels should be achieved while creating a 3D model so that a 4D model can be as detailed as possible.
- You should ensure that 4D models contain all the details of object, component, and activity grouping.
Use necessary and efficient construction tools for workspace planning
One of the challenges that modelers face while 4D scheduling is the micro-scheduling of all the heavy machinery & equipment while generating 4D models with a high level of detailing. There are several companies that would help you overcome these challenges. At Cosmere Technologies, we offer efficient 4D BIM scheduling services to help construction companies achieve the accuracy and details they need.
We create high-quality 4D BIM models that will help detect and identify spatiotemporal conflicts. By doing this, we make sure that the model is created to save spatial planning time and makes the planning process reliable & reduce the chances of any accidents – increasing the overall safety.
Customize your scheduling based on project needs
By customizing the 4D scheduling process, you can achieve greater success since the perspective is very different from the traditional means of scheduling. Creating the 4D sequencing should be done by keeping in mind the areas where it is most required. This in turn helps in realizing the objects better than using the blanket formula for 4D scheduling in all cases.
Everything mentioned above clearly states how 4D BIM has the potential of improving the overall construction or renovation process. With 4D BIM modelling, you can achieve accurate project timelines and save money.
At Cosmere Technologies, we have the finest team of BIM experts who will help you create effective and efficient 4D BIM models for your projects. All you have to do is contact us.